Tune Into Thousands of Free Radio Stations Online

Friday, June 04, 2004

BITCH

Song at Spin now: Meredith Brooks - Bitch

I remembered when this song was a hit back in 1997, everytime I tell people my name is Meredith, they will go 'Oh! Meredith Brooks!' or 'Oh! You sing Bitch?' & the worst one i heard..'You're the Bitch!'..absolutely a vulgar word!

In fact, this Bit** word was soo vulgar that it did not get through the Singapore board of censors. Everytime this song was played on radio, it went 'I'm a (1 sec silence),I'm lover, I'm a child...', so now you know how vulgarity is being defined in Singapore.

Well hah..that's how people know my name, if they have heard of Meredith Brooks. Too bad she did not have any hit songs here again, which means no publicity for my name! Pretty nice & unique name you might think, well not so in the West, but I can tell you it gets me into a hell lot of trouble here in Singapore.

What do I get when I introduce myself? Well..I get irritating people who keep saying 'WHAT?' for 3 times, I also get a lot of people pronouncing my name in awful & horrendous tones like Melody/Meh-le-dick/Mary-dith/Mary-Leaf/and a few more that I don't even know how to spell! One even asked if I'm a Malay (Duh~~), most will ask for the spelling and I always have to make it clear that the M is for Malaysia and D is for denmark, especially over the phone coz it sounds like N and T! I had received letters/emails addressed to me as Neredith, Meretith & Neretith! Sighz..I don't get this in Aussie..really missed my days there..

This is the reason why I burst in delight whenever someone can pronounce my name accurately at the first shot! If you don't knwo how to pronounce, please log on to http://www.m-w.com and key in my name to get an exact idea ya?

Meredith is a name I have adopted since 1995, but only start to use it for good from 1997 onwards. You may wonder what it means and where do I get it from. Well according to http://www.behindthename.com, my name has a glorious meaning! Here it goes:

MEREDITH (m,f)
Usage: English
Pronounced: MER-e-dith
From the Welsh name Maredudd, possibly meaning "great lord" or "sea lord". A famous bearer of this name as surname was George Meredith, novelist and poet from England.

Sounds like a sea warrior! :D I actually came across this name in my aunt's Chinese to English electronic dictionary. There were about a thousand female names but this was the sweetest & most unique sounding one that I could find. In fact, I had a younger cousin who came up to me 2 years later with the same dictionary, pointing eagerly at the screen while claiming that she wanna be addressed as 'Meredith', so I go 'NO WAY!!!' in the loudest shriek that my mum came to see what's wrong. I felt sorry to disappoint her then but that's the truth - you win if you come in first. How can two people in the same family have the same name anyway?

Well back to the song, below are the lyrics to this song. Not too bad, at least Meredith Brooks and Meredith Chai share smiliar trait - We both believe in 'What you see is what you get!' Nope this song is not about 'bitchiness' literally, its actually quite noble - female power! If you know what I mean.. ;)


Meredith Brooks - Bitch

I hate the world today
You're so good to me
I know but I can't change
tried to tell you but you look at me like maybe I'm an angel underneath
innocent and sweet
Yesterday I cried
You must have been relieved to see the softer side
I can understand how you'd be so confused
I don't envy you
I'm a little bit of everything
all rolled into one

Chorus:

I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a child, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
I'm your hell, I'm your dream
I'm nothing in between
You know you wouldn't want it any other way

So take me as I am
This may mean you'll have to be a stronger man
Rest assured that when I start to make you nervous
and I'm going to extremes
tomorrow I will change
and today won't mean a thing



Just when you think you've got me figured out
the season's already changing
I think it's cool you do what you do
and don't try to save me



I'm a bitch, I'm a tease
I'm a goddess on my knees
when you hurt, when you suffer
I'm your angel undercover
I've been dumped, I'm revived
can't say I'm not alive
You know I wouldn't want it any other way







No comments: